News: 12 School Street Recreational Facility: Project Overview and Info
Project History and Mission:
The Saco Parks and Recreation Department (SPR) acquired the 12 School Street location in fall of 2019. Originally built as a church and then converted to a private residence, this facility will be renovated and updated for public use with SPR. This page features information about the building, the project, and our vision for the future of the 12 School Street Recreational Facility.
Vision for the Project:
Saco Parks and Recreation is known for our capacity to offer diverse programming to a variety of participants every day. We run programs at the Saco Community Center from 8:30am through 8:30pm most days of the week. To achieve this, classrooms and spaces are converted over several times per day; as an example, our Program Bay may start the day with a SENIORity yoga class, move into After the Bell activities, host a training or meeting, and then end the day with an activity like cheering or a theater rehearsal.
We are at capacity in our building for what we can offer programmatically. The next phase to continue growth for SPR is to look at additional space. When we first considered expanding locations, we were looking for a facility that would allow two things:
There are some key features of 12 School Street that will help us achieve these goals, making this location ideal to expand SPR programs:
- The same ability as the Saco Community Center to adapt and convert for a variety of uses.
- A location that would allow us to feature multigenerational services and expand programs for two primary user groups: teens and older adults.
We are grateful that members of the Saco City Council and our community have supported this project. While we experienced some delays in the renovation process due to COVID-19, we are happy to share that work is underway and we anticipate offering several of our planned programs as early as spring of 2022. Please see our Current Project Timeline for full details on our project phases.
- The first floor offers a layout that is ideal for multigenerational programming. Our current vision for this space allows for daytime SENIORity social gatherings, and new teen programs in the afternoons/evenings.
- The second floor of the building was originally built to hold church services. This space features a dedicated stage-area, beautiful acoustics, and a large open space which could be used as seating for audience members. This space provides an excellent opportunity to support performing arts in Saco, and could be used to host the SPR Twin City Theater Academy program, a coffee house for teens, a choir rehearsal, special events, and more.
- The ADA-compliant elevator makes visiting the building accessible to all.
- The location has close proximity to downtown Saco, allowing us to connect more easily to residents of all ages in this area of the community.
- There is a complete kitchen which provides potential for cooking classes, meal service at special events, or regular snack options at daytime programs.
Current Project Timeline:
The renovation of 12 School Street will be divided into two phases. Phase One will include upgrades required for the entire building and will focus primarily on the first floor re-design to ready that part of the building for programming next year. Click here for a Phase One project map. The anticipated completion date for Phase One is April 2022. Phase Two will focus on the second floor re-design; work will begin on Phase Two following completion of Phase One and is anticipated to be complete in Summer 2023.
Phase 1: First floor
Anticipated Phase One completion: April 2022
- Electrical (whole building)
- Fire suppressant (whole building)
- Full kitchen updates
- Addition of public bathrooms
- Cosmetic repairs (windows, painting, etc.)
Donating Items: To make our vision possible, we are looking for donations of certain items to complete Phase One. SPR is currently looking for:
We can begin accepting donations for Phase One items in March of 2022. If you wish to discuss donations, please email us at email@example.com.
- Pool Table
- Air Hockey Table
- Foosball Table
- Ping Pong Table
- Standing height pub-style café tables and chairs
- Flatscreen TV
Phase 2: Second floor
Anticipated Phase Two completion: Summer 2023
- Refurbishing stage and floor
- Cosmetic repairs (windows, painting, etc.)
- Outfitting sound and audio equipment
Donating Items: We will provide future updates about donation needs for Phase Two.
We’re looking to the future! With programs at School Street on the horizon for 2022, now is the time to brainstorm and we want to hear from you! Send us ideas about the types of programs you’d like to see offered in the future for teens and adults at the 12 School Street Recreational Facility. Email suggestions to Erika Dube, SPR Deputy Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsorships and Contributions:
SPR is developing opportunities to support the 12 School Street Recreation Facility project.
If you wish to contribute, donations of any size will be accepted. Please send contributions to:
Saco Parks and Recreation
Saco Community Center – ATTN: Erika Dube
75 Franklin St.
Saco, ME 04072
Businesses and individuals looking for larger sponsorship opportunities can email Erika Dube, SPR Deputy Director at email@example.com. This may include options for Room Sponsors and room naming rights.
Saco Main Street Grant Opportunity: America’s Main Streets Contest
12 School Street, the future home of Saco Parks & Recreation Department’s downtown Teen & Senior Center, is in the running for a $25,000 grant thanks to Saco Main Street’s entry in the America’s Main Streets Contest by Independent We Stand.
Here’s what you can do:
Vote daily at the link below between now and Nov. 7th. It only takes two clicks! No registration required.
To help yourself remember, set a daily reminder on your phone or smart home device, or use a good old fashioned sticky note. You can be a part of bringing this new facility online to serve our younger and older residents for decades into the future. Our chances will be exponentially better with every additional person we get to vote daily between now and Nov. 7th.
Click here to Vote!